I’m the Data Services & Government Information Librarian at the University of NC at Greensboro and this is my second go at Library Day in the Life.
A LDITL is a very different creature in during a semester. Last time I did this little exercise in “me”-ness it was the middle of the summer. Granted my days were filled with fun in libraryland, but nothing compares to the start of a semester. So, what was my day like yesterday? Here are the highlights because no way I can remember everything.
- Started out with my computer rebooting repeatedly because of updates, so I actually read through PW and World literature today
- Once the computer decided it was finished, I dug into three outstanding reference questions-two data and one government information. All three are complex, but are answerable. One I’ve been working on for a while, so I finally asked for help from my data and gov info peeps.
- Started sending out the post for our Digital Projects Coordinator position. Got some interesting comments from the Twitterverse! You know who you are.
- Met with my twin, Amy Harris, to discuss our upcoming Trivial Pursuit Night. We are trying to get students to sign up as a team, but we are having trouble conveying that. Dunno why. Because it is the start of the semester I guess.
- Prepped more for class on Thursday. The focus is writing annotated bibliographies and not just research, so I need to get my rear in gear on prepping for that. Most of it is ready, but I like to obsess.
- Answered my phone (I don’t often do this) and was asked to be on a committee for LPSS. I’m NOT answering my phone EVER again.
- Email email email email email
- Tried to read documents for our University Curriculum Committee meeting on Friday. They kept pouring in by email so I just said I’m done and will return when the barrage has ended.
- Reference desk for two hours. Asked a student to check my Politics section in Choice-go through the new books and mark which ones we have in the library. I felt guilty but the sweetheart said she enjoyed doing it. Sucker! Only questions at the desk are log-in and ‘where is this book’ type questions at the moment, so work is possible.
So that was about it. Nothing remarkable and nothing fascinating. Just lots and lots of doing.